Sore, bleeding gums are indicative of serious gum diseases. A host of reasons case bleeding of gums, however, by and large, bleeding gums suggest gingivitis or a periodontal disease. Prompt and effective management of sore, bleeding gums is very crucial to prevent oral complications.
Sore, bleeding gums are characterized by extreme soreness and swelling of the gums, development of deep pockets in between the gums and teeth, loosening of the teeth, receding gum line, offensive breath and an alteration in the manner in which teeth normally fit together.
Sore Swollen and Bleeding Gums Causes
- The principal cause for bleeding gums is gingivitis. Gingivitis is an inflammatory condition of the gums. Typically, the gums bleed when brushing. Gingivitis occurs due to poor dental hygiene, which promotes bacterial growth. Bacteria form plaques and tartar, which consequently causes bleeding of the gums.
- Periodontitis, another important cause for bleeding of gums, develops when gingivitis is left untreated.
- Brushing the teeth too vigorously can injure the gums; also the enamel of the teeth can erode away.
- Hormonal changes also cause bleeding of gums, especially in women. Menses, pregnancy and menopause are phases during which hormone fluctuations occur, causing bleeding.
- A deficiency of vitamin K and of vitamin C causes soreness and bleeding of gums.
- Smoking, use of ill-fitting dentures, incorrect flossing, and use of certain medicines such as, calcium channel blockers, anti-coagulants, oral contraceptives and anti-depressants cause bleeding of gums.
Natural Treatment for Sore and Bleeding Gums
- Aloe vera: apply aloe vera gel to the affected gums. Aloe soothes the swelling and inflammation.
- Salt water: gargle with warm salt water, after every meal. Salt allays the pain and combats infection successfully.
- Ginger: grate a small piece of ginger, and gently massage the gums. Leave on for some time, then gargle.
- Vitamin C: increase your daily intake of vitamin C. Consume loads of limes, lemons, oranges, bell peppers, papayas, etc. .
- Limes: gargling with lime water is one of the most effective treatments for sore gums. Also, brushing the teeth twice daily with lime juice is advocated. Lime fights infections, supplies plenty of vitamin C and prevents bleeding.
Most importantly, follow a healthy diet, rich in vitamin C, vitamin K and calcium. Maintain good oral hygiene. Make sure you visit the dentist every 6 months. Wearing dentures all the time can cause sore, bleeding gums. Ensure that after 6 hours, you remove them, and let the gums breathe. Take them off before going to bed.