One of the most effective healing foods in the planet, coconuts have come to the aid of promoting good health with a regular intake of its fruit or juice. Most people are familiar by now about the many benefits of eating coconut and how easy it is to maintain good health habits by including coconut meat into the diet.
Benefits of Eating Coconut Meat
- Coconuts contain a healthy number of nutrients such as vitamins A and B, Niacin, Riboflavin, Calcium, Phosphorus, Protein, Carbohydrates and Iron.
- Prevents growth of goiters
- Builds muscle
- Eliminates gas or constipation
- Relief for sore throat and stomach ulcers
- Good ingredient for facial scrub or massage
- Coconut water is a good diuretic, keeping kidney and urinary tract clean.
With so many features included, coconut meat is highly nutritious and prevents several diseases. There are special benefits for pregnant women who can eat coconut meat during the nine-month period.
Benefits of eating coconut during pregnancy
- Water from tender coconuts has an ample supply of electrolytes, regulates blood pressure and is a good source of dietary fiber.
- It improves cholesterol levels because it is free from fat.
- Stops chances of urinary tract infections and promotes digestive health
- It can relieve constipation and heartburn common to pregnant women.
- Lauric acid content can ward off fungi, viruses and bacteria because of its disease-fighting elements.
- It boosts the baby’s immune system while still developing in the womb.
- It has cooling effects on the body which can be most welcome with the added weight and hormonal imbalance during pregnancy.
- Coconuts boost lactation for the mother producing breast milk that is rich in lauric and capric acids, which are good for the infant in fighting infections.
Coconut Quick Facts
- Scientific name: Cocos nucifera
- Called “coco” by Spanish explorers which literally means “monkey face”.
- Nucifera means “nut bearing/”
- Coconuts are nutritious sources of milk, meat, oil, and juice.
- Called a “functional food” because of the nutritional content and health benefits.
- Dried coconut flesh is called copra.
- Coconuts that do not have liquid often has flesh that is too dry to be consumed.
- Caprylic acid derived from coconut oil is known for having anti-fungal properties.
- Coconuts are not rich in cholesterol.
- Coconut flakes are known to reduce levels of cholesterol.
- Fresh flesh of unripe coconuts is jelly like and consumed directly.
4 thoughts on “Benefits of Eating Coconut Meat During Pregnancy & for Overall Health”
I am 5 months pregnant. Since few days, I am taking 1 glass of coconut water in a day and eat lots of spinach. Somewhere I had read eating spinach is beneficial in increasing hemoglobin. This is because I do not want to take iron pill supplements. I want to know if it is the right thing.
Eating spinach and drinking coconut water is good for health, particularly during pregnancy. Both contain nutrients that are good for the mother and the fetus inside her womb. You can also eat other foods which are rich source of iron such as beef or chicken liver, cooked beans, pumpkins, sesame seeds, baked potato, broccoli, wheat germ, roasted almonds, etc. Also eat fruits as they are rich source of vitamin C. It helps efficient absorption of iron from the gut.