The prostate gland is a small walnut shaped gland, that is located below the urinary bladder, and surrounds the urethra. Its principal function is to synthesize semen which helps transport sperms during ejaculation.
The symptoms of BEP or benign enlargement of prostate are associated with troublesome urinary problems. The complications linked to an enlarged prostrate are: Urinary tract infection, kidney impairment, disorders of the bladder, calculi, and urinary retention.
Home Remedies for Enlarged Prostate
The following home remedies and guidelines will help ease out the problems and symptoms associated with BEP successfully:
- Tomato: the most important home remedy for BEP is tomato. Tomatoes are loaded with lycopenes, a very powerful anti oxidant. It fights free radical damage; and is known to prevent prostate disorders. In case of BEP, it prevents a progression of the disease and helps manage the symptoms successfully. Ensure that you have at least 1 tomato daily.
- Fluids: limit your consumption of water and other beverages, especially, 2 hours before bed time.
- Alcohol and caffeine: alcohol and caffeine tend to tighten the neck of the bladder and make urination very difficult. They also act like diuretics. Consult a health care practitioner before taking any diuretic, anti histamine or decongestant, since; they make passage of urine difficult.
- Never hold up the urine: pass urine whenever you feel the urge; avoid holding the urine for long periods of time.
- Saw Palmetto: is an effective cure for enlarged prostate, it reduces nocturnal urination, inflammation, swelling and pain; also diminishes dribbling and retention of urine.
- Pumpkin seeds: pumpkin seeds have also been touted as wonderful aids for prostate complaints. Consume 3 spoons of pumpkin seeds daily.
- Stress: stress management is crucial. Avoid any kind of stress, stay active. Cold temperature, stress and inactivity cause urine retention and increase the urgency and frequency to urinate.
Symptoms and Warning Signs of Enlarged Prostate
Commonly seen symptoms of the condition are:
- Difficulty in the initiation of urination
- Dribbling of urine
- Unsteady stream at the close of urination
- Frequent or urgent urge to pass urine
- Straining while urinating
- Nocturia or increased urination at night
- Feeling of partial evacuation of the bladder
- Blood in urine is sometimes seen.
- Bladder stones and kidney damage may occur in later stages.
Causes of Enlarged Prostate
- The exact cause / factor that triggers BEP has not been identified as yet.
- The most significant cause is a change in the hormone profile. A disruption of the balance of the hormones is related to the prostate enlargement.
- Sometimes, the gland may develop an increased sensitivity towards normal hormone levels in the body. This is likely to set off benign enlargement of the prostate too.