It would be an embarrassing situation when you get up in the morning and find a hickey on your neck after last night passionate moments with your partner. However you are not the only one to have a hickey, there are many people who have been in similar position. If you are wondering how to get rid of a hickey and prevent unwanted attention and comments by your colleagues and subordinates, here are some valuable tips.
Before finding ways to get rid of a hickey let us know what it is and how it is formed.
A hickey or a love bite is nothing but a bruise formed as a result of prolonged and passionate kissing or a bite on another person’s skin. It is small hemorrhage under your skin due to breaking of tiny blood vessels called capillaries. A hickey does not heal easily and there is no quick fix. It takes similar time to resolve as all other bruises do. The usual time taken for a hickey to heal is from few days to a week. It depends on the size and depth of the hickey. However it is possible to speed up the healing of a hickey or ways to conceal it from others.
How to Get Rid of a Hickey at Home Overnight
The following tips will help you to enhance the healing of a hickey and get rid of it at a faster pace.
- Apply ice, wrap few ice cubes in a towel and apply it on the hickey. Apply it for 5 to 10 minutes, do the procedure four to five times in a day. Cold will reduce arterial flow and decrease further bleeding and swelling.
- It is important to apply cold compresses as soon as you discover a hickey so as to prevent further spread.
- If the hickey takes more than two days and you experience pain and swelling, apply warm water compresses after two days. It will dilate the blood vessels and increase blood circulation so that the dead tissues can get absorbed faster.
- As mentioned earlier there is no quick fix for a hickey, make – up is the best way to get rid of hickey overnight and conceal it from other people’s sight. You can wear a turtle neck clothing to conceal it.
- A gentle massage helps to dislodge the blood clots and help the system to reabsorb them effectively.
- Take a spoon and keep it in the freezer for 30 minutes. Now press it over the hickey, the cold spoon will work in the same way as a pack of ice cubes. It will constrict the bleeding capillaries and stop the leakage of blood through them.