Oregano is an aromatic herb, which exerts powerful anti bacterial, anti fungal, and anti viral properties. The scientific name of the herb is Oreganum vulgare. The name is Greek and means ‘joy of mountains’.
Oil of oregano is very useful for body massages; it is also used in cooking. The essential oil is extracted from the leaves via distillation.
How to Make Oil of Oregano
The essential oil of oregano can be synthesized using a complex distillation process, which requires special and costly equipment. You can also make infused oil of oregano using fresh oregano and a light carrier / base oil. Infusion does not manufacture the essential oil of oregano, but it produces an effective oregano oil that you can utilize for massage, cooking, etc.
How to Make Oil of Oregano Leaves
To make oil of oregano, you will need fresh oregano leaves, a knife, a mortar and pestle, a carrier oil such as olive oil, a double boiler and a glass jar.
How to Make Oil of Oregano At Home
- When making the infusion, always use fresh oregano leaves. Avoid using those that have been kept in a plastic bag the grocery store for a long time. If possible, fetch a plant that is still potted.
- Wash the leaves well and let them air dry. Chop the leaves, just before making the infusion. Use about 1 cup of oregano leaves in 1 cup of base oil.
- Use a double boiler, i.e., a simple set of 2 pans, placed on top of each other. The bottom pan should have water for boiling. The pan on the top must have the carrier / base oil. You could use olive oil to make your infusion.
- Add the chopped leaves of oregano in to the pan containing the carrier oil.
- Place the double boiler on fire. However, do not, let the oil boil. Let the oil heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Keep the flame very small, and keep the fire on for 5 to 6 hours.
- Thereafter, strain the leaves of oregano. Take a cheese cloth and wring the chopped oregano leaves in to the oil.
- Store the oil in a jar, shut tight and refrigerate. Let the oil sit in the fridge for a few days, so that the oil blends well with the extract. You may use your infusion oil for about 6 months.
Advice on How to Make Oil of Oregano
- If you want to make your infusion really strong, use 2 cups of oregano leaves, in 1 cup of carrier oil. You may crush the leaves in a mortar and pestle before adding them to the oil in the double boiler.
- Never use dried oregano leaves; there may not be sufficient oil in them to infuse your carrier oil properly.
- Never over-heat the oil. The oil must be hot enough to extract the essential oil in the oregano leaves, but not boiling.