Iodine for Thyroid
- The two key hormones which are the triiodothyronine and thyroxine that are produced by the thyroid gland is not complete without any iodine molecules. These two glands help in the proper metabolism of the body. If there is no iodine, then metabolism of the body will be greatly affected.
- Iodine deficiency can lead to serious ailments. One of the less harmful effects of this deficiency includes thyroid enlargement or what is commonly known as goiter. Hypothyroidism, cancer and serious brain developmental disorders are some of the serious effects that a patient can get when he or she has severe iodine deficiencies.
- Children who have iodine deficiencies also suffer from hypothyroidism along with stunted growth and mental retardation. Problems in speech, movement and hearing are also attributed to iodine deficiency. Mild deficiencies in iodine can also cause learning disabilities and low IQ in children.
- For pregnant women who have low iodine levels, there are big chances that she may have a miscarriage, stillbirth, or her baby may have mental retardation.
- Iodine can be collected from iodized salt, food, water, additives, medications and supplements.
- Over consumption of iodine can also affect proper thyroid function so it is best for patients to take in just the right amount. Excessive levels of iodine in the body can also lead to hypothyroidism. It can also prevent the secretion of the thyroid hormone which can cause swells in the mouth, swelling of the salivary glands, diarrhea, metallic taste, and vomiting.
Iodine for Thyroid Treatment
Thyroid problems often lead to serious growth development. This is true in both physical and mental aspects. Iodine has been found to be an effective factor not only in preventing illnesses related to the thyroid but it can also help treat malfunctioning of the gland.
- Goiter which can be attributed to hypothyroidism can lead to slow metabolism, weight gain, feeling of tiredness, dry hair, low sexual energy, feeling cold, low resistance to infection and weakened mental functioning. Though iodine cannot completely heal goiter, it can help in slowing it down. It can however, prevent it from manifesting.
- Iodine helps in the metabolizing fats that have accumulated which can help the thyroid become healthier. It can also help in reducing weight for obese patients and weight gain for those that need it.
- Kelp and seaweeds are rich in iodine and are commonly used to treat illnesses related to the thyroids. Iodized salt is also used for preventive purposes.
- Radioactive Iodine Treatment. This method is commonly used in the treatment of hypothyroidism and is given in one single dose. This is administered either by dissolving in water and taking it orally or in capsules.