The kidneys are bean-shaped structures in the body that belong to the urinary system. It has a number of functions in the body, including processing of waste products from metabolism. Because these organs handle waste products on a regular basis, they are also prone to experiencing various problems.
Kidney Pain Symptoms
A patient with kidney pain will often experience any or many of the following symptoms:
- Pain at the back, side or flank, and groin areas
- Strong, persistent urge to urinate
- Burning sensation or pain when urinating
- Abdominal pain
- Frequent urination
- Pus or blood in the urine
Kidney pain could lead to life-threatening conditions such as major organ failures.
Kidney Pain Symptoms Location
- To best understand that the problem is with the kidneys and not just some other body part or organ, it is important to learn the correct locations where the symptoms will be experienced.
- Do not confuse kidney pain with back pain – lower or upper back pain.
- Kidney pain is actually observed at the back. Still, the exact location of the pain could vary, depending on the patient. Still, the pain will be observed at the middle or lower back most of the time.
- However, there are times when the pain will radiate towards the upper back and to other areas of the body such as the groin and testicles.
- Sometimes, the pain may also be accompanied by swelling of that particular area that is painful.
Kidney Pain Causes
Possible causes of kidney pain include:
- Kidney stones. These stones could be mineral deposits of calcium, uric acid, and cystine.
- Pyelonephritis or kidney infection. It is a type of urinary tract infection that occurs when the urine flows back into the ureter.
Kidney Pain Home Treatment
Treatment of the kidney pain will depend on certain factors, including the underlying cause of the ailment.
- Kidney stones are treated by
- Drinking a lot of water
- Drinking diuretics to wash away excess water from the body
- Surgery may be required to remove the kidney stones. Still, it is also possible that the kidney stones can be dissolved by home remedies and medications.
- Pyelonephritis is treated by:
- Antibiotics to control the infection