Having “puffy nipples” is one of the recognized forms of gynecomastia. This condition is where there is glandular tissue accumulation that is found to be concentrated or typically confined to the areola of the person. In certain cases, this accumulation may even extend outside of the person’s areola, appearing as though it is dome shaped.
It is important to understand that puffy nipples are not really a threatening life condition. However, these can still be unsightly. Also, there could be more serious underlying conditions that have triggered their occurrence. That is the reason why having puffy nipples should not be entirely disregarded especially if these occur along with other symptoms.
Puffy Nipples Causes
The factors that cause puffy nipples in men are summarized as follows;
- The presence of lavender oil in the house can trigger the occurrence of puffy nipples. This has no clear explanations but it remains a fact.
- The use of steroids in some men causes a different effect on them physically. One of these effects is acquiring puffy nipples.
- During the age of puberty, there is an increase in hormonal changes in a person’s body. This may result to a lot of physical changes and puffy nipples may be one of them.
- Obesity is one factor that can cause the excess in fat in the condition.
- Stress and trauma on chest can also contribute to puffy nipples of men.
- Malnutrition has long been causing various medical problems to patients. Well, it was found out that this could also cause puffy nipples to appear in men.
- There are also some medical conditions that could trigger puffy nipples. Some of these are:
- Kidney failure
- Liver failure
- Other problems that could have caused hormonal imbalances in the body could also trigger puffy nipples.
Treatment for Puffy Nipples
By primarily identifying the causes, the treatment plan will follow. Some ways to reduce puffy nipples in men include the following:
- Discontinue the use of lavender oil and get rid of it.
- Stop the use of steroids as this may also cause hormonal imbalance. A hormonal treatment or a surgery may need to be considered.
- For those who are suffering from puffy nipples during the puberty stage, there is nothing to worry about since this condition will most likely disappear as the stage passes by.
- It is also important to lose weight if the puffiness is caused by obesity.