Sarcoidosis is an inflammatory disease which is chronic in nature and it is characterized by presence of non caseating granulomas affecting almost all the organs of the body. The symptoms can present in many ways depending on the organ involved.
The pattern of disease also differs in different races in varying geographical conditions.
Symptoms Of Sarcoidosis
Sarcoidosis sign and symptoms include:
- Enlargement of liver.
- Enlargement of spleen.
- Lymph node enlargement.
- Enlargement of hilar (Lung) lymph nodes.
- Lymph nodes in the armpits, groins, neck, etc are enlarged and firm but they are not tender and never matted.
Symptoms in various organs affected with sarcoidosis:
Sarcodosis- skin lesion:
- Palpable nodes.
- Hypopigmented patches. On face, extremities, back and scalp.
- Itching. Plaques.
- Maculopapular rash.
Sarcoidosis in musculo skeletal system:
- Swelling in the joints
- Joint effusion
- Pain and immobility of joints
- Pain in muscles.
- Weak muscles.
Lung Disease Sarcoidosis
Sarcoidosis – lung lesions: it is the most affected organ in this disease.
- Breathing difficulty.
- Blood in sputum. This occurs when your lungs are infected with fungus infection.
- Scarring and fibrosis of lungs can cause heart problems.
Sarcoidosis eye lesions: it occurs in 20 to 25 % in western cases, more common in Japan.
- Pain and redness in the eyes.
- Loss of vision.
- Dry eyes,
- Reduced color vision.
- Blurred vision.
Sarcoidosis Neurological lesions:
- Cranial nerves are affected causing recurrent Bell’s palsy (one sided paralysis of face).
- Diabetes insipidus if pituitary gland is involved.
- Psychiatric problems.
Sarcoidosis Organs Involved Symptoms
Sarcoidosis Spleen and liver lesions:
- Most of the cases show liver granuloma in alimentary symptom.
- Hepatosplenomegaly is common.
- Parotid and tonsils glands are often involved.
Sarcoidosis cardiovascular lesions: only 5% of patients show manifest cardiac problems.
- Edema leg.
- Valvular lesions.
- Myocardial infarction.
- Cough and breathlessness.
- Nearly 15% of patients with cardiac involvement may have sudden death.
Sarcoidosis in endocrine system:
- Diabetes insipidus.
- Diabetes mellitus.