Lymph nodes are small nodules that are present throughout the body in clusters, especially in the neck, armpits and the groin area. They are a part of lymphatic system of the body. The lymphatic system is a part of the immune system of the body.
The main role of the lymph node is to trap the bacteria, viruses and other infective pathology and destruct it. In the process, the lymph nodes swell.
The lymph nodes present in groin area are called inguinal lymph nodes. These lymph nodes are hardly palpable unless they enlarge due to various reasons.
Causes Of Swollen Lymph Nodes In The Groin Area
Infection is the most common cause for swelling of lymph nodes of the groin. The spread of infection is usually limited by the lymph nodes immediately proximal to the site of infection. However infection can by pass a group of lymph nodes and affect those at a higher level. The various causes of swollen lymph nodes in groin are:
- Infection in the foot, leg, genitals and the groin area. It can be a boil or an abscess etc.
- Injury to the leg, foot and the groin.
- Hodgkin’s disease.
- STD’S (bubo).
- Testicular cancer.
- Cat scratch fever.
Swollen lymph nodes in the groin can be tender and painful as it occurs in case of a boil or an abscess in the lower limb.
There are other diseases where the nodes in the groin region become swollen but they are not tender and painful, as it occurs in some of the sexually transmitted diseases, leukemia, Hodgkin’s disease etc. Therefore when a person has swollen lymph nodes in the groin area, he or she should immediately consult the medical consultant.
Swollen lymph node in the groin of a female can be due to genital herpes. Genital herpes can appear on the labia, in the vagina; on the anus etc. Small fluid filled blisters appear on the affected area. There may be burning and itching sensation in the genital area. A woman may find difficulty while urinating due to burning sensation, intercourse becomes uncomfortable. Besides this there is swelling of the groin lymph nodes. She may feel muscle pain, low grade fever and chills etc.
Home Remedies For Swollen Lymph Node In The Groin
As you know, swollen lymph nodes are not the disease in itself, but they are symptoms of underlying condition. Therefore it is of prime importance to reach to the root of the cause by consulting your physician. However you can try to reduce discomfort produced by swollen lymph nodes of the groin in following ways:
- Simple way is to use cold and warm compresses which will reduce the inflammation and pain of the lymph nodes in the groin. For this gently compress the area with a towel dipped in cold water and warm water alternately.
- Drink lemon juice mixed with one teaspoon of honey three times in a day. Lemon juice is rich in vitamin C, and it helps in healing of the wound, besides it enhances the immune system.
- Tea of chamomile is known to effective cure in swollen glands. Drink a cup of this tea twice in a day.