In simple terms vertigo is a term which is used for the feeling of spinning and whirling. This is attributed to the disturbed center of equilibrium, which in turn may result in loss of balance. Simple home remedies and simple home based treatment can be effective in the management of the symptoms associated with vertigo.
What are the Causes of Vertigo
Vertigo is a symptom which is associated with the damage in the semicircular canals located in the vestibular labyrinth region of the ear. The condition is associated with abnormal sensation of a continuously moving surrounding and loss of balance. The common causes associated with vertigo include,
- Ear infection which affects the inner ear may result in vertigo
- Floating calcium carbonate crystals in the posterior canal can also result in the sense of dizziness and loss of balance
- Head injury resulting in damage to the inner ear due to the accident or surgical intervention
- Hyperthyroidism is also associated with vertigo
- High cholesterol and diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disorders and associated co morbidities may result in vertigo
- Nutritional deficiencies especially anemia or calcium deficiency are also found to be associated with vertigo
- Insufficient supply of blood to the affected organ due to atherosclerosis or any other cause may manifest in the form of vertigo
Vertigo Symptoms and Treatment
The primary symptom associated with vertigo is dizziness and loss of balance on any attempt to get up or move. The whirling sensation is a common feature of vertigo. Often vertigo may also be associated with sensation of nausea and lightheadedness.
There are certain basic treatments that can help in the management of vertigo,
- Strong and pungent odors are very beneficial. Strong odors like ammonia can strike hard on the sense of smell and divert the body’s senses from the shaky and dizzy feeling associated with vertigo
- Include citrus fruits in your diet.
- Drinking ice cold water also benefits in treatment of the symptoms like dizziness and lose of balance
- Avoid coffee, tea or consumption of tobacco. These foods contain stimulates which can in turn over stimulate the nerves system and further aggravate the problem
- Yoga exercises are directed towards striking balance in the body. You might be able to regain your sense of equilibrium with regular practice of yoga.
Home Remedies to Manage Vertigo
Here are two simple home remedies that can help in the management of vertigo,
- Mix two spoons of wheat grain mixed with one teaspoon of Khuskhus along with almonds and water melon seeds. Prepare a paste and fry the mixture with ghee and drink it with milk everyday
- Alma or Indian Gooseberry powder along with one spoon of coriander seeds in one glass of water is also considered beneficial.