Many dentists agree that tongue cleaning should be a part of daily oral hygiene. It has a lot of benefits aside from just keeping the tongue well-cleaned.
Reasons for Cleaning the Tongue
- After a meal, small particles can get stuck in the papillae of the tongue
- These debris can decompose and cause bad breath
- Certain bacterial and fungal agents can also proliferate when the tongue is not properly cleaned, this include Candida Albicans, which causes yeast infection of the mouth.
Tongue Cleaning Benefits
Cleans the Tongue of Food Debris
- A quick tongue scrapping following tooth brushing will get rid of any of the food debris that may be found on the surface and in the spaces between the taste buds.
- Cleaning may also be done with the use of a toothbrush. Some toothbrushes have tongue cleaners attached to the back of the head.
Helps Get Rid of Bad Breath
- In most cases, halitosis can be addressed with the use of tongue cleaning.
- Bad breath is often associated with how healthy the structures of the mouth are and that includes the tongue.
Helps Prevent Infections
- Keeping the tongue clean is going to decrease the chances of developing an infection like fungal or bacterial.
- It is also important not to clean the tongue too often as it can also lead to problems resulting from the loss of the mouth’s normal flora.
Tongue Cleaning Methods
- The bristles of the toothbrush can effectively clean the tongue.
- Running the bristles over the area following tooth brushing is a reliable method.
- Some toothbrushes also have special tongue cleaners, which are rough pads attached to the back of the toothbrush’s head.
Tongue Wands and Scrapers
- These are specially designed products that have been designed to be dragged over the tongue to dislodge any debris
- They come in different shapes and sizes
- Gargling with a mouthwash also cleans the tongue as it cleans the rest of the mouth.
- Dentists may be able to recommend special mouthwashes that can help with cleaning the tongue better.
Tongue Cleaning Home Remedies
- Using the head of the toothbrush to clean the tongue
- This can be done with or without tooth paste
- Without any special apparatus, the tongue can be cleansed with the use of a strand of dental floss.
- This is done by holding a piece of floss far enough between the fingers and running them down the length of the tongue.