Cream of Tartar Uses
Potassium hydrogen tartrate or most commonly known as Cream of tartar is an acid salt that has been a permanent addition to the household for centuries. It has been an essential ingredient to numerous recipes. As a byproduct of wine fermentation, this ingredient is widely used in baking to add to the consistency of cream, meringue, and other forms of batter.
- Urinary Tract Infections. This is usually due to an imbalance in the urine’s natural pH. An alteration in acidic levels allows bacteria to propagate and infect the urethra. Cream of tartar can help change the pH level and inhibit the growth of bacteria. A couple of teaspoons in a ½ cup of water can be drank around 2 times per day. For a bit of flavor, lime juice may be added to better aid in pain relief.
- Nicotine withdrawal. One teaspoonful of cream of tartar mixed in a glass of orange juice once a day can help in the detoxification process.
- Heartburn. Around ½ teaspoon of cream of tartar mixed with an equal part of baking soda can be used with warm water to relieve the painful symptoms of heart burn.
Basically, cream of tartar can be used to relieve conditions that pertain to imbalanced pH levels.
Cream of Tartar Ingredients
- Cream of tartar is an acidic salt with tartaric acid and potassium hydroxide as its main ingredients. The properties of this acidic salt work well with ingredients such as baking powder, vinegar, and water.
- When mixed with vinegar, this acidic salt can be used as an insect repellant. The tartaric acid it contains can kill insects such as ants immediately.
- Cream of tartar has antioxidant and cleaning properties which can help solve simple problems such as acne, sore throat, and superficial infections.
Benefits of Cream of Tartar
The benefits of cream of tartar are countless and encompassing. Aside from a useful ingredient in both food and health, it can also be used for other household dilemmas.
- A paste of acidic salt with hydrogen peroxide can be used as an effective tub scrub. This principle is also applicable in shining dull pots, pans, and other utensils.
- When mixed with baking soda, cream of tartar can help make teeth appear whiter and cleaner. Kids can also use a cream of tartar mixture as play dough. Two tablespoons of cream of tartar, a cup of salt, a tablespoon of cooking oil, and 4 cups of flour can be mixed to form an all natural play dough.