Diuretics are any food, liquid, medication, or substance which increases the rate of urination in a person. All these items are great at increasing the elimination of water from the body although they might have different mechanisms by which they achieve this. These substances also help in the elimination of salt or sodium in the body.
Natural Diuretic Food
A lot of foods are among the main reasons why a person will retain water. Well, there are also a lot of other foods that are also the reasons why a person will eliminate retained water from the body. The following foods belong to the latter category:
- Green tea
- Brussels sprouts
- Apple cider vinegar
Natural Diuretic Remedies
- As a natural remedy, diuretics have long been proven to be effective. In fact, these are not just used in the home setting but even in hospitals and medical facilities.
- There are a number of different ways that a person can use these diuretics. Some of these are:
- Eaten raw. Such is the case of fruits and other food items, including watermelons.
- Cooked. Some items could not be eaten raw but have to be cooked.
- Used as juice. This is great for fruits as well as vegetables.
- The patient can mix these diuretic foods together or just pick one out.
- For patients who are at risk of high blood pressure because of the presence of too much sodium in the body, diuretics are often considered to be a good natural remedy. The sodium is drawn to the urine as directed by the kidneys. This will not only take away sodium from the blood stream but excess water as well. The decrease in fluids and sodium in the blood vessels will help decrease the pressure on the walls, thus, helping lower blood pressure levels.
- Aside from too much sodium, a lot of people also have problems with water retention in the body. This can lead to bloating, lymphatic swelling, liver disorders, kidney disorders, and even weight gain. Diuretics can help decrease the amount of water in the body to help control these medical conditions.