Choking on food happens when food fragments such as a fishbone get stuck in the upper portion of the airway. Sometimes people accidentally swallow a fishbone and it gets stuck in the throat. An incident like this can cause throat obstruction and severe pain in the throat, chest, and abdomen. In addition, the individual will also experience breathlessness because his throat is thwarted, swollen, or constricted.
Fishbone Stuck in Throat Symptoms
One drawback of eating fish is the presence of bones which vary in size and thickness and which has the tendency of getting stuck in the throat. Some fishes have short and hair-like bones while others have medium or long bones with sharp edges.
Choking happens for several reasons. It may occur when an individual eats fast, chews less, or talks while eating. Sometimes, this could happen when the person did not pick out the bones of the fish carefully before eating. Regardless of the causes, when a fishbone is stuck in the throat there is the constant stabbing pain each time he or she swallows.
- High-pitched breathing
- Severe drooling
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Difficulty in speaking
- Pain in swallowing
How to Get Rid of Fishbone Stuck in Throat Using Home Remedies
A fishbone stuck in the throat can be treated at home with a few tricks. However, if the fishbone is not removed immediately, it may cause difficulty in swallowing and eating. It can also lead to further throat infection.
Simple methods to get rid of a fishbone:
- Try to expel the fishbone by coughing it out.
- Face the mirror and check if your fingers can reach for the fishbone. Take it out gently.
Other home remedies include the following:
- Egg. Break a raw egg into a teacup and swallow it without beating.
- Swallow a table spoon of olive oil. It can make the bone slide down your throat.
- Swallow a small or medium-sized chunk of foods such as:
- Boiled rice
- Pre-chewed marshmallows
- Peanut butter sandwich
- Gargle with vinegar. It slowly softens the bones.
- Decoct a root of clematis with vinegar and brown sugar. Sip while hot.
If all efforts have been made yet the fishbone is still stuck in the throat, it is best to seek medical help immediately.