How to Treat Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder is a mental problem that affects one’s behavior and moods. Manic depression is another term for this disorder. It is extremely vital to sought for cure and medication to manage symptoms and have a controllable life. The usual methods of treatment include psychotherapy, drugs and electroconvulsive cure.
These are some steps on how to manage the symptoms and treat the effects of bipolar disorder:
- To stabilize one’s moods, prescribed medications have to be taken as instructed. Anti-depressants, antipsychotic and anti-seizure drugs are given depending on the person’s signs and symptoms.
- A patient can talk about the medications he takes with his doctor. Since there can be various drugs to be taken, a patient must know what type of medications does he take, and their benefits to the body as well as their side effects.
- One must understand that positive effects may not be felt in just a few days. Thus, patients have to adhere to the treatment plan and be patient to wait for a couple of weeks for the drug to work.
- Psychotherapists play a big role in the management of bipolar disorder. Thus, one must regularly meet with his therapist along with the intake of medication to fully obtain great results. It also helps to open up with the therapist and inform him every concern about the disorder.
What Causes Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder is a condition that is not directly inherited, just like most mental ailments. This is actually the result of several factors including environmental influence, psychological aspects and genetic conditions. In terms of genes, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder share several risk genes.
Moreover, stress is known to have a huge effect on the occurrence and development of any mental problem, like bipolar disorder. For instance, those who have difficulties coping with the stressors and struggles associated to their involvement with their surroundings and the society, can have heightened emotional stress. And this is an aggravating factor to bipolar disorder.
Home Remedies for Bipolar Disorder
Alternative medicines and home remedies are also effective in dealing with bipolar disorder. These are simple home remedies one can easily do:
- Diet. Though there is no particular diet option for bipolar disorder, it is important to be fully nourished and maintain a balanced and healthy diet. To avoid mood swings, one must keep away from caffeine, fats, too much salt, as well as foods high in tyramine such as liver, fermented cheese, and bananas.
- Exercise. To improve one’s moods, regular exercise is a big help. This can also make a person sleep better.
- In order to enhance the overall wellbeing, it helps to talk to family and friends often.