A Monster drink is a term used for energy enhancing drinks which claim to contain certain stimulating herbs and nutrients. While there are different formulation for these monster drinks, most of these drinks are associated with side effects on overall health. Recent studies have shown that monster drinks can have detrimental impact on your cardiovascular health.
Monster Drink Side Effects
While monster drinks can have a wide array of side effects on the overall health, depending upon the formulation, some of the more frequently observed side effects include,
- Nervousness and Jitteriness: While drinks high in caffeine are commonly known to produce these side effects, most of the monster drinks are observed to have these common set of symptoms. Excessive sweating, tremors, nausea and racing thoughts are considered to the common symptom set. Anxiety and apprehension with fear may also be observed in cases of higher dosage.
- Digestive disorders: High consumption of monster drinks has been closely linked with a host of digestive disorders. Monster drinks often cause indigestion along with other gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting, loose motions, gaseous distention of the abdomen, nausea, etc.
- Insomnia: Another common side effect associated with the consumption of monster drinks in sleeplessness or insomnia. Elevated levels of caffeine tend to stimulate blood flow to the different organs including the brain. This results in wakefulness, high energy levels and alertness which interferes with the sleep cycle. Prolonged wakefulness, eventually results in tiredness, drowsiness and lower concentration levels. These symptoms are aggravated especially if the beverage is consumed close to bed time.
- Irritability and Mood Swings: Irritability, anger and frequent mood swings are also observed in individuals consuming monster drinks more frequently. This is also attributed to the caffeine content in the monster drinks which over stimulates the nervous system and can also cause emotional imbalance.
Effects Of Monster Energy Drink On Cardiovascular Health
Monster drinks tend to have very harmful effects on the cardiovascular health of the individual. Though the effects would vary significantly as per the formulation of the drink, there are certain common health effects that are experienced,
- Tachycardia or rapid heartbeat is one of the direct implication of the over consumption of monster drinks. Tachycardia may result in palpitation, breathlessness and elevation of blood pressure, all of which are considered detrimental for cardiac health.
- Stimulants like pseudo-ephedrine or amphetamines can also result in constriction of the coronary arteries which in turn can increase the risk of cardiovascular attacks. Further monster drinks containing higher levels of caffeine tend to increase the blood pressure and cause vascular episodes and ischemia.
While monster drinks claim to enhance energy levels, high level of consumption of these drinks can be associated with severe effects on the body impacting both mental and physical health. It is always recommended to limit the intake of these monster drinks to an optimal level in order to prevent some of these side effects and the risk of cardiac disorders.