Dew laden grass, the morning sun, invigorating air and beautiful nature all around you can rejuvenate and revitalize you. Walking barefoot on the grass, known as ‘earthing’, proffers several significant health benefits; a host of clinical trials and research studies have corroborated this. The earth is full of wonderful and potent energy and connecting with this energy nourishes your body, mind and soul.
When you walk bare feet you experience these astonishing health benefits:
- Promotes mindfulness: When you are walking barefoot, you have to pay attention to every step that you take. You need to look out for pebbles, sharp rocks and thorns. You need to be wholly aware; this promotes mindfulness. It stops your incessant inner chatter and de-clutters the mind. It gives your mind that much needed holiday and teaches you to focus on the moment.
- Foot yoga: When you walk bare feet, the muscles, ligaments and tendons in the feet, ankles and calves stretch and get strengthened. It also stretches and strengthens your core, helping you keep your posture erect.
- Reflexology: There are reflex points on your feet which connect to every component of your body.
- Helps tackle stress better: When you walk on the grass every morning, you inhale clean, fresh air, look at the beautiful flowers and birds and enjoy a peaceful environment. This serenity helps realize the futility about getting anxious and stressed out over things; it encourages you to live in the moment, forget the past and deal with whatever comes your way.
- Decreases anxiety: Research shows that walking barefoot in the grass reduces anxiety by 62 %, and what’s more, it increases the level of endorphins or the ‘feel good hormones’ in your body.
- Promotes good sleep: Clinical trials show that walking barefoot in the grass helps deal with insomnia and sleep disorders.
- Connect with nature: You can connect with Mother Nature. You can feel the cool, wet grass under your feet, you can smell the wonderful fragrance from the flowers, and you feel the warm sunshine and hear the wind in the trees. Connecting with nature is therapeutic for the body, mind and soul.
- Helps you feel rooted and grounded: Walking barefoot helps you connect to the earth’s natural energy. The earth has magnetic fields and when you walk bare feet, you get connected to the magnetic field instantly, and this has a beneficial influence on your own magnetic and electrical fields. An exchange of energies takes place, and this helps neutralize and cleanse your body to eliminate the negative energy.
- Improves eye health: When you walk bare feet, you help your eyes. The foot is connected to all the components of the body (reflexology) and this includes your eyes. When you walk, you tend to give emphasis on the first, second, and third toes. These are the reflexology points for the eyes. When you walk bare feet, these reflexology points get massaged and this significantly promotes eye health.