Dysmenorrhea is defined as the occurrence of painful cramps during menstruation. Abdominal pain during monthly periods is a natural phenomenon. Some amount of abdominal pain, abdominal cramps and discomfort are a common occurrence across women of all age groups. Abdominal pain & cramps are experienced more during the first day or two of the periods and subside towards the end of the periods.
Causes Of Stomach Pain During Menstruation
- Changes in hormone levels during the onset of periods cause abdominal pain
- Contraction of the uterus during the menstrual flow cause abdominal pain
- Some other reasons like indigestion, constipation, and bloating may cause abdominal pain
- Some women are also sensitive to food during periods, which may cause abdominal pain.
Home Remedies for Dysmenorrhea
Following home remedies can help relieve abdominal pain during menstrual cycle days:
- Regular exercises like yoga and stretching help ease pain during menstrual period
- Use a heating pad on your abdomen for half an hour or less to help relax the muscles in the stomach
- Soak a small towel in warm water, remove excess water and place the towel on the lower abdomen gives good relief during periods
- Lightly massage your abdomen, lower back area with finger tips to get relief from pain in periods
- Take a warm water bath or warm water shower twice a day to alleviate abdominal pain
- While sleeping on your back, ensure that your legs remain in raised position to get relief from stomach ache during periods
- If sleeping sideways, lie down with your knees tucked in towards your stomach.
- Take rest, if required, to help relieve abdominal pain
- Drink a cup of chamomile or lavender tea to lessen pain of abdominal cramps.
- Drink warm ginger root tea, warm milk, or soup to reduce cramps
- Avoid caffeine, smoking, alcohol during periods
- Drugs like aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen are usually prescribed by doctors for relief from abdominal pain during periods
- Oral contraceptives also stop ovulation and get rid of cramps
- If you are overweight, please work towards reducing weight.
Please consult your physician if painful cramps persist & severe abdominal pain during periods becomes unbearable or irritating.