Question: What is the name of disease when person has symptoms of difficulty in breathing, itching and swelling of throat and has fever too?
Answer: The symptoms you are referring are suggestive of a condition called angioedema.
What is Angioedema?
Angioedema, previously known as angioneurotic edema, is an allergic manifestation of food articles or other environmental factors. This occurs when histamine is released from the mast cells as a reaction to the allergen. Angioedema can be one of the manifestations of urticaria.
This is characterized by rapid swelling of tissues that occur in the subcutaneous and the dermis levels of the skin as opposed to urticaria which occurs in the upper dermis. Since the swelling can occur quite rapidly, it is very important to seek medical help as soon as possible because this can lead to suffocation as the air passages are constricted.
Often, the main cause why a patient has angioedema is that he or she had inherited it from a parent. Still, it is also possible that a person can develop this ailment as a complication for other forms of allergies.
Symptoms of Angioedema
The following are some of the symptoms that are recognized to be related to angioedema:
- Swelling of lips
- Swelling of eyelids
- Itching and hives on the body
- Swelling of tongue. Some patients will also have difficulties in speaking, swallowing, and breathing because of the swelling.
- Nausea and vomiting
- Difficulty in breathing
The swelling in angioedema can be very painful, especially if these occur around the eyes.
Causes of Angioneurotic Edema
The following are the possible causes and triggers of edema:
- Foods. Fish, eggs, chocolates, nuts, tomatoes, milk, strawberry, etc
- Medicines such as anti-inflammatory drugs, aspirin etc
- Bee sting and other insect bites
- Cold climate or exercise
- Dyes and chemicals
- Emotional stress and strain
If there is breathing difficulty along with other symptoms, it is an emergency and the condition should be immediately addressed to.
Home Remedies for Angioedema
It is very important that the symptoms of angioedema be managed as soon as possible to prevent serious complications such as suffocation. The following home remedies can be used:
- To relieve pain, cold compress can be used on the swollen areas.
- Apply aloe vera gel on the affected areas.
- Rub some milk of magnesia on the itchy swollen areas to relieve the itchiness.
- Mix 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup cornstarch. Add this into a tub filled halfway with water. Soak into this tub for a few minutes.