Bottle gourd is an excellent nutritive vegetable gifted by nature to humans. It is widely available in many parts of world. The botanical name is lagenaria siceraria and belongs to cucurbitaceae family. This vegetable is bottle shaped and hence it is referred as bottle gourd. Vegetable grows on the climbing plant.
Benefits of bottle gourd juice:
The vegetable bottle gourd is rich in vitamins and minerals. A cup of bottle gourd juice provides 26 mg of vitamin C. It also contains high amount of iron and zinc. 96 percent of it made up of water. It contains sterols rhibosome inactivating protein, lagenin and triterepenoide cucurbiticins.
- Acts as a cooling agent: The juice of bottle gourd contains high amount of water in it. It acts as a cooling agent for the body especially in summer season. It helps to replenish water that you lose through sweat in summer.
- Weight loss management: Drinking one glass of bottle gourd juice daily helps to lose weight. All you have to do is extract juice from the vegetable and drink it in morning. The juice contains vitamins, minerals such as potassium, iron, zinc and many more micronutrients. It curbs your excessive hunger when you drink the juice in morning hours.
- Prevents constipation: Bottle gourd consists of soluble and insoluble fiber along with plenty of water. The insoluble fiber is useful in preventing constipation because of the insoluble fiber. It also helps to reduce acidity and gasses.
- Insomnia: It is beneficial for people suffering from insomnia. Mix one teaspoon of sesame oil in a glass of this juice.
- Urinary problems: Bottle gourd acts as a diuretic and is effective in eliminating excess amount of water in the body. Its effect enhances on addition of one teaspoon of lemon juice. It is beneficial for people suffering from urinary tract infection.
- Regulates blood pressure: High potassium content present in the vegetable helps in regulating blood pressure among hypertensive patients.
- Prevents early graying of hair: Drinking bottle gourd juice helps to prevent early graying of hair and also hair loss. It also helps in treating dandruff. Mix equal amount of bottle gourd juice with Indian Gooseberry juice. Massage it on your scalp for few minutes before rinsing your hair with shampoo and water.
- Anti hyperlipidemic activity: Bottle gourd has unique substances that help in significantly lowering cholesterol, low density lipoprotein (LDL) (bad cholesterol) and triglyceride. It also helps in increasing HDL (good cholesterol).
How to and How Much to Consume
Bottle gourd juice must be consumed fresh. Before preparing the juice chop of the ends and taste some part of inside of the vegetable. If it tastes bitter do not consume the vegetable or its juice. Drinking bitter juice extract of bottle gourd can cause abdominal pain, vomiting and gastric upset. Hence only drink the juice if it is not bitter. Avoid adding or mixing other juices with bottle gourd juice. However, certain things such as ginger, mint leaves, rock salt, or Indian gooseberry can be added to enhance flavor and taste.
- Bottle gourd juice may be taken twice or thrice in a week.
- Do not exceed one glass of juice in a day.