Burning in the nose is often associated with flu and nasal congestion. However there can be some other causes which might result in burning sensation in the nose. Treating the burning sensation can also help in alleviating some of the symptoms associated with the condition like watery nose, watery eyes and headaches.
Causes Of Burning Sensation In Nose
You may have experienced a burning sensation in your nose at one time or another. Here are some of the usual burning nose causes that people often get to experience:
- The nose comprises of mucus membrane which is very sensitive. Rubbing your nose with a rough piece of cloth or tissues, instead of a soft cloth, especially when you have a runny nose or a bad cold can result in burning in the nose.
- Sunburn or over-exposure to the sun that causes you to feel a burning sensation on the top of your nose.
- Chemical fumes can also be the cause of a burning sensation on your nose.
- Allergic reactions to certain facial creams and lotions.
- In children, burning sensation in the nose is often associated with worm infestation.
- Allergic reaction to certain foods can also cause burning in the nose, which may be associated with watery eyes, sorness of the throat, headaches, etc
Home Remedies For Burning Or Raw Nose Problems
You can try any of these home remedies for burning nose relief:
- Get the sticky liquid from the aloe vera and apply this on the raw or burning area of your nose. Aloe Vera is a natural lubricant and it soothes the mucus membrane and reduces irritation which causes the burning sensation in the nose.
- Toothpaste is also a good remedy for a burning and raw nose. Apply a small amount of toothpaste on the area and leave this to dry.
- For burning nose sensations caused by sunburn and chemical burns, wash down your nose with cool water first then pat dry.
- You can choose to apply honey over the burn to cool it or apply a vinegar and water compress to it. Honey has a soothing effect, while vinegar is a natural astringent which helps in reducing the inflammation of the mucus membrane.
- Steam inhalation is also considered to be beneficial in the management of burning nose. Add a pinch of salt to a bowl of water and take steam inhalation. This helps in decongesting the nasal mucosa, which in turn reduces the inflammation in the nose and relives the burning sensation.
- Deworming may be important in children who complain of burning sensation in the nose. Homeopathic drugs like Cina and Chamomilla are considered very useful in the deworming.
- Stop digging or picking the nose. Digging makes the nasal mucosa to dry, which in turn leaves it prone to infections and prone to burning sensations.
- Identify foods that you are allergic to and avoid them.