Since the past three years I am suffering from abdominal pain, when I consulted a doctor (gastroentrologist) he suggested me to do an ultra sound abdomen and C T SCAN. Results show calcifications in head and body of the pancreas. Is chronic pancreatitis curable? Please suggest me treatment, medicines and food habit as well.
Pancreatitis is the inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas secretes several vital enzymes that are necessary for proper digestion and assimilation. Also, the beta islet cells secrete insulin, an important hormone to regulate blood sugar.
Chronic Pancreatitis Diet
- First and foremost, make sure that your diet is devoid of fats. Fats in the food will cause the pancreas to work a lot harder. Consequently, there could occur frequent and repeated attacks of pain. Fatty and greasy foods will trigger repeated episodes and aggravate the condition. So, stay away from deep fried foods, trans fats (found in biscuits, cakes, cookies), saturated fats and processed foods. Restrict your oil intake considerably.
- Next, make sure you have plenty of fruits and salads.
- Eat whole cereals – oatmeal, brown rice and whole wheat. Soy and soy products are a wonderful source of nutrients and antioxidants which check further injury to the pancreas.
- Avoid eating foods that are heavily spiced. An occasional indulgence will do!. But, by an large consume bland and lightly spiced foods.
- Also, it is important to bear in mind, that patients with chronic pancreatitis, have a tendency to develop diabetes, so, it is advisable to lower the consumption of foods with a high glycemic index.