Many people believe that colic only affects infants, especially those below 3 months old. Well, although colic is mostly observed in infants, this can actually affect adults as well.
Home Remedies For Colic
- One external application for colic is to lay a wrung hot towel on affected area.
- Heat a small amount of cooking oil or any kind of oil in the microwave or stove. Test the temperature and make sure that it is not scalding hot but just warm and very tolerable. Apply this oil on the abdominal area.
Treatment For Colic
Many parents have realized that healing can be hastened by a soothing environment, especially one with music.
- Thus, for treating colic, parents may also try to use music to heal the child. Turn on calming music, allowing the baby to relax to the sound. Singing to the child can also do wonders in treating its colic problems.
- Give the baby a warm bath.
- Rock the baby gently in arms and make soft sounds.
Causes Of Colic
This ailment affects any gender and race. No one is particularly really safe from experiencing colic. Studies have shown that as much as 25% of all babies experience colic. Still, it is not something that is life threatening. Also, the incidence of colic significantly lessens as the child grows. There are many reasons why colic occurs. Some of these are:
- Food allergies
- Parasites, especially roundworms
- Improper digestion
- Foreign objects in the digestive tract
Foods And Juice For Colic
- A drink of hot milk and pure cane sugar helps relieve colic in adults. Repeat every 15 minutes; not for those allergic to milk.
- Drinking chamomile tea also effective in infants and adults.
- Different kinds of tea are known to be effective as treatment for colic. Aside from chamomile tea, catnip tea is another favorite. Other effective tea options include those made from cloves, fennel, coriander, caraway, thyme, cayenne, or rosemary.
- Warm water and salt; drink a little at a time; less should be given for children.
- Orange tea taken 4-6 times a day is quite effective in treating colic. This is safe for children as well.
- Light peony leaf tea works well for infants.
- For adults, drinking a lot of mineral water helps release strong gas pains.
- Drinking a hot brew of ginger with a small amount of sugar can also help get rid of the excess gas that caused the stomach pain. This is very effective in adults but should be given with caution to small children.