When she is laughing, she cannot breathe properly. What are the causes of constant wheezing cough?
Treatment for Constant Wheezing Cough
Wheezing cough can be due to many reasons. It is very important to find the cause before you come to any conclusion of constant wheezing.
The main function of coughing is to clear the tracheobronchial tree or the air passage of excessive secretions and foreign bodies if present in the respiratory tract.
Causes of Constant Wheezing Cough
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Bronchitis acute and chronic
- Exposure to irritants and cigarette smoking
- Compression on trachea
- Functional ie. Cough is caused without any pathology
- Some time there is stimulation of Arnold nerve which supplies the ear and ear canal. Stimulation of this nerve by Wax in the ear may lead to a constant, dry irritating wheezing cough.
- X- ray of the chest, with complete blood count, routine stool examination, are the investigations required.
Home Remedies for Constant Wheezing Cough
- Check if she has wax in her ears. As one of the cause is stimulation of the nerve of the ear due to wax which causes cough.
- To relieve the bout of coughing or wheezing, sip a glass of hot water with a few cloves in it.
- Mix jaggery and mustard oil, take 1 teaspoon of the mixture to relive the wheezing
- Steam inhalations are useful in relieving the spasms
- Wild cherry bark, vitamin, and nettles act effectively against wheezing.
- Laughing may be irritating the epiglottis in the throat, drinking lime juice or gargling with warm water can be tried if there is mild inflammation in the throat.