Question: What is the cure for measles?
Answer: Measles is one of the most contagious diseases caused by a virus. It is highly infectious.
Measles is more common in young children. Since the availability of vaccines, measles have been controlled in developed countries. But it is still present in developing countries.
Symptoms of Measles
The prodromal period for measles is 7 to 14 days. Prodromal period is the time between the exposure to the virus and actual manifestation of the disease.
- Running nose, sore throat, fever
- Koplick spots in the buccal cavity. Koplic spots are white granulations present in the buccal cavity.
- Rash on the body appears 3 to 4 days after the onset of the above symptoms. Initially they appear on the face and the neck and behind the ears, gradually they spread all over the body.
- Itching is common symptom associated with the rash
Complication of measles:
- Abscess in the ears
- Rarely a brain disease called SSPE ( subacute sclerosing panenchephalitis ).
Causes of Measles
Measles is caused due to virus. The mode of spread is air borne; patient suffering from the disease can spread the infection through coughing and sneezing. Unhygienic condition, crowded surrounding is responsible to spread the disease faster.
Treatment for Measles
Since the disease is self limiting, it looses its virulence after 10 to 12 days, and the rash becomes less, the main worry is of the complication associated with the disease. All the children suffering from measles should be checked by a physician, to treat the complication if present at the earliest.
Some of the home remedies for measles are:
- Proper nutrition and diet should be taken
- Control of fever
- Orange: the agreeable flavor of the fruit helps in overcoming the drawbacks such decreased intake of food.
- Patient should be hydrated well.
- Lemon juice acts as a thirst quenching drink
- Turmeric powder mixed with honey is helpful in relieving symptoms associated with measles
- Barley water is helpful in relieving cough
- Egg plant seeds boost the immunity and shortens the course of the disease
- Bath with azadirachta indica leaves boiled in water is helpful to ease the itch
The child should be kept in a well ventilated room, they should take complete rest, and should not be allowed to play or mix with other children for 10 to 14 days as the disease is contagious.