Question: I am suffering from high uric acid (8.4), I want to know, how to control it with diet?
Answer: High uric acid content in the blood results in a condition called gout. It is an inflammatory and painful condition of the joints. High uric acid level can also damage kidney.
To remain with low uric acid level you will have to follow certain dos and don’ts in your regular food intake.
How to Lower Elevated Uric Acid
- Avoid alcohol as it precipitates acute gout attack
- Avoid eating purine rich food, as purine leads to formation of uric acid after its synthesis in the body.
- High purine containing food are red meat, anchovies, broth , sardines, sweetbread and mincemeat
- Eat in moderate quantity food containing less purines they are: lentils, mushrooms, shellfish, spinach
- Foods containing very less purine are olive, vinegar, cereal and rice. This food can be consumed daily
- Cherries are considered to be beneficial in lowering uric acid.
- Apples and bananas are also helpful in reducing uric acid
- Drink plenty of fluids, water, soup and fresh juices help in excretion of uric acid
- Have foods that are high in complex carbohydrate, moderate in protein and low in fat. Whole grain cereals, fruits and vegetables contain fibers which help in reducing uric acid level
If you are obese try to reduce your weight by proper exercise and diet. Check your blood uric acid level regularly.