Getting Rid of Hiccups
Hiccups can be embarrassing and quite annoying, especially if they go on for several minutes. Also, they make talking, eating, laughing, and just about any activity that uses the mouth, difficult. Thus, the first thought that comes to mind is to get rid of these hiccups as quickly as possible. The problem is that there are no over-the-counter medications that one can simply buy to get rid of this annoying situation. It is, therefore, a good thing that plenty of methods can be done to get rid of the hiccups naturally.
Natural Cures To Control Hiccups
- Hold breath for as long as possible.
- Hold tongue out for as long as the person is able.
- Drink water one gulp at a time while holding breath; soda water is also effective for the treatment of hiccups.
- A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar may also help.
- Stick clean finger down the throat until the patient gags.
- Take 7 big breaths between hiccups.
- Hold breath. While still holding breath, take 5 to 10 sips of water. Slowly exhale.
- Drink a full glass of water without stopping. Then, close the nose with two fingers and hold breath for a couple of minutes.
- Try to keep the mouth open for several minutes. Even if the urge to swallow is high, do so without closing the mouth.
- Try gulping as much air as possible for at least 3 minutes. Try to do continuous gulping until the hiccups are gone.
- Plug the nose and ears. Drink a tall glass of water as quickly as possible. Burp or exhale.
- Drink as much as 2 glasses of water. Try to burp repeatedly.
- Swallow as much air as possible. Burp.
- Roll the tongue back towards the throat and hold this position for as long as possible until the hiccups are gone.
Meditation To Get Rid of Hiccups
Done everything listed above and still having hiccups? Then, try meditation.
- Sit straight on a chair and close eyes. Use the middle and pointer fingers to apply pressure on both eyes until white specs begin to appear. Release the pressure slowly.
- Sit with closed eyes on a chair. Think of any person and keep him or her in mind clearly. Forget about the hiccups but think about that person. Try to talk to this person quietly. Close eyes and bob head slowly from side to side. Count to ten.
- Divert attention by looking at any object. Concentrate on that object and tell self that hiccups can be easily overcome.