Question: What are the home remedies for back pain? Can you share some good natural cures and treatment for Backache?
Answer: Backache is one of the most common ailments of modern times. Medically it is called lumbago and defined as mild, moderate to more severe pain in the lower back.
The type of pain can be of sudden onset, or chronic if it persists for more than a couple of months. Age is no bar, but more often it is seen in younger persons and old people.
Females can also suffer from backache during pregnancy due to stretching of ligaments and muscles of lower back.
Causes of Backache In Brief Are
- Injury to back, excess of weight lifting
- Muscular spasms
- Poor posture, sedentary life
- Spondylosis lumbar spine, and cervical spine
- Slipped disk
- Illnesses like arthritis, tuberculosis of spine, gall stones and kidney stone, pelvic diseases in females,
Also see on Causes of Lower Back Pain
Home Remedies for Backache
- Dietary deficiencies of calcium should be corrected by having calcium rich foods.
- Milk is one of the rich source of calcium
- Gentle exercise which help in toning back muscles.
- Soft cushioned seat should be avoided and position should be changed as often as possible in chronic backache
- Proper rest is as much important during acute episode. Sleeping on hard surface is also useful
- Physiotherapy exercise and short wave diathermy is useful in treating backache
- Garlic: it is considered the most important remedy in treating backache.
- Two or three cloves should be taken early in the morning to get result. Oil prepared from garlic can be applied on the back if the pain is more. The oil is prepared by frying 5 to 10 cloves of garlic in a fry pan containing 50 ml of vegetable or coconut oil.
- Lemon juice once a day is good for back ache
- Chebulic myroblan: A small piece of this fruit should be eaten after meals. This gives relief in back pain
- Raw potato is an ancient home remedy for backache. Application of raw potato in the form of poultice has been found effective in this condition.
- Smoking should be given up completely as this will cause osteoporosis of the bone of the back and make them weak.
Yoga, acupressure and acupuncture are other alternative therapies useful in curing backache.