The thyroid gland produces two hormones, thyroxine and triidothyronine, which regulate the body’s metabolic functions. The production of these hormones is regulated by Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), which is secreted by the pituitary gland. Fall in the levels of the thyroid hormones in the blood results in a condition called hypothyroidism, which is characterized by sluggishness, muscular pains, body ache, obesity, fatigue, etc
Natural Home Remedies and Treatment for Hypothyroidism
Adequate supply of micronutrients and vitamins plays a crucial role in the effective management of hypothyroidism.
- Increase the intake yogurt, meat, sea foods, fish, potatoes, oatmeal, parsley, radish, and bananas. These foods are high in iodine and provide adequate dietary supply of the micronutrient for the body.
- Coconut oil has potential benefits in the management of hypothyroidism and it also assists in weight loss, since, obesity is a common symptom associated with hypothyroidism
- Bladderwrack, a seaweed, rich in iodine, is used in the successful management of hypothyroidism.
- It is used for weight loss and effective in treating the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Further, the sea weed also contains a host of other nutrients including calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc and potassium.
- Other nutritive supplements such as selenium and thyroid glandular supplements have proven effective as natural treatment for hypothyroidism