Question: Hi, I am 17 & my periods are very irregular (sometimes get delayed for about 2 months or more). What is the cause of this & suggest some cure (more preferably home remedies)
Answer: When did you have your menarche? Since when do you have this problem? Have your menses always been irregular?
Causes of Irregular Menses
Hormonal imbalance is an important cause of irregular bleeding.
How to Regularize Periods
Here are some things you could do to regularize menstruation,
- Reduce the intake of caffeine, aerated drinks and junk food. Avoid highly saturated foods including butter, cheese, oily food, spicy food, etc.
- Ensure that you remain hydrated. Drink at least two to three liters of water each day
- Include fresh fruits and fresh vegetables in your diet. These will suffice the deficiencies that inappropriate diet may cause.
- Include supplements like Iron, Folic Acid, Vitamins and bioflavonoids in your regular regimen
- Exercise and yoga will help improve the balance between the body and the mind.
- To address to iron deficiency ensure that you consume milk and other dairy products, citrus fruits, green vegetables and eggs. Include protein rich products like cereals and pulses in your diet.
If the problem is persistent, it is best to get yourself evaluated by your gynecologist. It is possible that dietary correction will normalize the menstrual flow, but it is best to take professional advice.