Question: I am 18 yr old, not in physical relation with anyone. I got my period on 14th march and have not got my periods since then. I exercise regularly (not over-exercise though) this happens frequently, after every 4-5 months I get my periods after two months or so, I also visited a doctor but she said it was due to stress but now I don’t feel any stress and enjoying with my friends will it create any problem in my future life…m worried about it, sometimes during periods, I get pain in my lower abdomen very much… I also want to ask that sometimes there is white fluid discharge…what is that…is it related to some excitement and all…sometimes I even start feeling ashamed of it.
Causes of Menstrual Irregularities
Answer: Irregularities in menstruation are fairly common. In your case, since you already take iron and folic acid and since you don’t have any possibility of being pregnant, the condition can be associated with hormonal imbalance and stress.
It is important to understand that stress can be physical as well. Inappropriate diet, excessive and strenuous work, irregular meal patterns, etc can result in undue stress on the body which in turn can manifest in the form of hormonal imbalance, which in your case is presented in the form of delayed periods on and off.
Irregular Menstrual Cycle Treatment
It is important that your diet should comprise of the following,
- Fresh fruits or fresh fruit juice. Avoid tinned, canned or juice with added preservatives. Fruits like grapes, apples, pumpkins, etc are rich in antioxidants and help in reducing tissue damage due to free radicals
- Fresh vegetables including green leafy vegetables like spinach, broccoli, cucumber, etc are potential sources of vitamins and minerals and need to be consumed on regular basis
- You could try increasing the intake of sesame and papaya along with spices like pepper, garlic and ginger.
- These foods are presumed to be ‘hot’ and can hasten the onset of menstrual periods. Don’t overdo the usage of these food ingredients
- Avoid eating junk food, oily or fried foods, aerated drinks, etc. Avoid indulging into habits like drinking alcohol or smoking; these can be detrimental to your overall health.
Don’t worry, your condition is fairly common and it would not have any effect on your sexual relationships or your ability to bear a child.