Question: When urticaria attacks what do we have to do to control the symptoms?
Answer: Urticaria is a skin disease causing intense itching and burning with formation of raised red welts on the skin. It is best to first understand the symptoms before finding the right treatment for this ailment.
Signs and Symptoms of Urticaria
The following are the signs and symptoms that a patient with urticaria might experience:
- Skin irritation
- Rashes on skin
- Skin lesions
- Tongue swelling
Natural Treatment For Urticaria
The immediate cause of concern in most of the cases of urticaria is to treat the intense itching and burning.
- Dissolve about 12 g of salt in a glass of water. Drink it. Try to induce vomiting. This home remedy is especially useful if the urticaria is accompanied by digestive disorders.
- Green tea can be effective in boosting the immune system. Try to include this in the daily diet.
- Boil echinacea and marshmallow roots in water for about 5 minutes. Turn off the fire. Add small quantities of peppermint leaves, chamomile flowers, and ginger rhizome. Let steep for several minutes. Strain out the leaves and drink the remaining liquid.
- If turmeric powder is available, dissolve 2 tsp in 1 cup of water.
- If fresh turmeric is available, boil it in water and steep. Drink daily.
- Dissolve 1 g of powdered rauwolfia root in 1 cup of water. This can also be taken daily.
- Make a solution of rose water and vinegar; it is preferable to use apple cider vinegar but any vinegar found in the kitchen is fine. This solution should be rubbed on the welts to treat the itching sensation.
- Mint leaves are also useful in relieving the symptoms of urticaria. Boil 10 g of mint leaves and 1 tsp of sugar in ½ glass of water. Drink the mixture prepared twice in a day to get relief in itching.
- Grind together equal amounts of alum and red ochre. Then, rub the powder on the skin affected with urticaria. This can help alleviate the itchiness and burning sensation.
- Cut a stalk of aloe vera and rub its gel-like parts unto the welts. This will quickly relieve the itchiness and burning sensation.
- Fill the bathtub with warm water and add Epsom salt. Soak affected areas for a few minutes.