Question: I have been suffering from tailbone pain off and on for over 20 years but about a year ago it became constant while sitting. In other words, I cannot sit for more than half an hour at a time without the pain creeping into my coccyx. I have complained to my doctor about it and he has no answers for my problem.
Answer: Tailbone is the last portion of the spinal cord. It is also known as the coccyx. pain
Causes of Tailbone Pain
- Tailbone pain can be a result of direct trauma to the tailbone as in perpendicular fall, due to trauma during child birth, excessive strain to the ligaments attached to the tail bone, fracture of the tailbone, infection of the tail bone.
- Depression and mental strain can also play a significant role in its occurrence.
Symptoms of Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia)
- The symptoms are of pain in the region when the tailbone is pressed as in case of sitting position.
- Pain while passing motions, and other rigorous physical activities.
- As your pain is chronic I would suggest an X-ray of the coccyx and if need be MRI of the spine.
- We would like to know if there is any pathology involved.
Tailbone Pain (Coccydynia) Treatment and Home Remedies
Meanwhile certain home remedies may help to relieve your complaints:
- Sit on a dough nut shaped cushion as this will distribute your weight while sitting and the muscles and the ligaments attached to the tailbone will be strained less.
- Take the help of a trained physiotherapist for relieving your problem
- He will be the right person to show some exercise which will alleviate your sickness.
- Meditate if you are suffering from anxiety and depression
- Rub ice packs on the painful area
- Homeopathic medicine such as hypericum, rhustox etc are helpful in curing the condition. As homeopathy is based on individualization, you will have to consult a homeopath before taking any homeopathic medicine.
- Consume calcium rich food as it will make your bone strong. Milk is the best and readily available source of calcium.