Question: My daughter is 17 years old; she is suffering from thyroid problem as well as Urticaria. Are they interrelated? What is the treatment?
Answer: Thyroid related problems and urticaria have different causes. It may be a coincidence that they both have occurred together in your daughter.
Thyroid Problem and Hives
- You have not mentioned from which thyroid disease she is suffering from.
- There is hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism and goiter.
- As she is in her pubertal age, we assume her to be suffering from pubertal goiter which is more common in this age group.
- Goiter is an enlarged thyroid gland. It is located in the middle of the throat wrapping the trachea situated in front of the throat.
- It produces thyroid hormones and the main function of the gland is to regulate the metabolism of the body.
- If the thyroid is overactive the condition is called hyperthyroidism, it may produce symptoms like nervousness, insomnia, always hungry but still loosing weight.
- While in hypothyroidism i.e. underactive thyroid the patient may feel tired, lethargic, clumsy, and sensitive to cold and gaining weight.
- Goiter is the enlargement of the thyroid gland and it may not necessarily change the hormone level. The main reason for the gland to grow is due to lack of iodine in the diet. The gland increases in size in an effort to keep constant hormone level.
- Thyroid problems occur commonly during the times of hormonal change, like Puberty, Pregnancy and menopause.
- Eating food which contains iodine will relieve or prevent the problem. Foods rich in iodine are seafood, fruits and vegetables.
Also see Thyroid Gland Function & Low Thyroid in Men
Treatment and Tips for Thyroid Disease
- Garlic contains iodine and it should be regularly used in diet, it helps in reducing the swelling
- Use of iodized salt is advocated for those who suffer from goiter.
- Green tea it is high in natural fluoride which supports the thyroid
- Kelp contains plenty of iodine it is a seaweed, it can be added to soup or can be used as a tea
- Bladderwrack- this herb is rich in iodine and can be consumed as tea
Also see Causes and Cure for Thyrotoxic Condition
Urticaria is caused due to food allergies, drug allergies, insect bites etc. it can also be the result of emotional excitement. Application of rose water and vinegar help in relieving the urticaria and its symptoms of itching and burning of the skin.