Question: What are the foods to be avoided that induce tonsillitis?
Answer: Tonsillitis is acute inflammation of tonsils. Tonsils are the glands situated on either side, inside the throat.
- Tonsillitis can manifest itself in acute as well as chronic form. Chronic tonsillitis is the term applied where there is enlargement of tonsils accompanied by repeated attacks of infection.
- The main symptom of tonsillitis is sore throat, fever, headache, and palpable lymph nodes on the outer side of throat.
- Difficulty in swallowing is also one of the main features of person suffering from tonsillitis.
- You can see swollen and inflamed tonsils when the mouth is wide opened if a person is suffering from tonsillitis. In some cases there may be associated pain in the ears.
- The chief cause of tonsillitis is person’s low vitality to protect him from external infection such as colds.
- The causative organism is viral infection as in case of colds.
- Some time superadded infection of streptococci and staphylococci can occur.
- Foods that irritate the tonsils should be avoided if a person is prone to repeated tonsillitis.
What not To Eat in Tonsillitis
- Cold drinks and aerated drinks
- Spicy food
- Fried food
- Hard and crunchy food articles
- Strong coffee, tea and alcohol
- Avoid smoking
These are some of the food articles best avoided in tonsillitis.