Antibiotics are miracle drugs that have saved millions of lives from deadly bacterial infections. Thanks to Alexander Fleming who found penicillin in the year 1928. Antibiotics are chemical substances derived from various species of microorganism that in small concentration are able to stop the growth or kill bacteria. There are several types of bacterial strains and hence different types of antibiotics are needed to kill them.
Natural recovery from antibiotics:
There are two types of bacteria that dwell in our body; the good bacteria and bad bacteria.
- Probiotics contain good bacteria. Eat natural probiotics such as yogurt, buttermilk during the course of antibiotics and for two to three weeks after antibiotic treatment. The culture of good bacteria present in yogurt and buttermilk protects the intestinal lining. Its lactic acid content helps to flush off bacterial toxins from the body. It is the best cure for diarrhea caused as a side effect of antibiotics.
- Many other fermented foods also contain high number of good bacteria. Eat kombucha, sauerkraut, kefir, fermented pickles, kimchi etc when you are on antibiotic therapy. You can continue taking them even after the therapy is over for some days.
- Eat chicken bone broth or chicken soup as it helps in recovery from antibiotic side effects.
- Drink enough amount of fluid when you are on antibiotic therapy. It helps to reduce dryness in mouth and loss of fluid that may be caused as a side effect of antibiotics. Increased intake of fluid is also beneficial for removing toxins from body.
- Eat garlic as it contains a natural compound called allicin. It helps in detoxification of remaining effects of antibiotics from the body. You can add garlic in food preparation after the course of antibiotic therapy for overall health benefit.
- Eat foods that are easy to digest when you are on antibiotics. Bland and simple foods such as rice, vegetables, soups, bread, dry crackers is easily digested and it also provides rest to the gastrointestinal tract.
- Eat foods that have plenty of antioxidants. Colored fruits such as strawberry, cherry, peach, oranges, kiwi fruit are good source of antioxidants.