When you find that you are suffering from angina, aside from treating this problem with medications, you can help yourself with a lifestyle change and diet changes. Here are some dietary suggestions you might want to try:
- Vegetables are always good for your health and when you have angina, replacing some of the stuff you eat with vegetables can greatly help. Green leafy vegetables are good for overall health as well as for angina problems.
- Try to avoid fatty and high cholesterol foods as much as possible. Meat should be lean and taken in moderation. If possible, opt for meat that has been cooked with less oil, like stewed or braised instead of fried.
- Vitamin C is a known reducer of cholesterol so eating fruits that are high in this vitamin can also help. Try eating different fruits like pineapples, grapes, oranges, and apples to help lower your cholesterol levels.
- Add parsley to your food. This herb is a well-known remedy for angina and can also help freshen one’s breath and improve digestion.
- Whole grain cereals and products made with these grains can also help with angina problems. Eat bread made with whole grain wheat or have cholesterol reducing oatmeal every day to help with angina and cholesterol problems.
Diet Therapy for Angina
Faulty eating habit is one of the primary causes for angina pectoris. Diet for angina patient must be rich in fiber and low in fat. Foods which help in reducing cholesterol levels should be consumed and this includes garlic and onion. Avoid caffeine containing products, and foods having hydrogenated oils and animal fats. Lean meat and fishes are good for heart such as salmon, tuna, mackerel etc. Antioxidants like Vitamin A, C and E and Coenzyme Q10 are also beneficial for the people with heart ailments. Increased intake of folic acid is also effective for patients suffering from cardiovascular disease.