Can this condition be prevented? How? What are the things you can do to lessen the chances of having this life threatening condition?
Arteriosclerosis is triggered by the lifestyle itself of an individual. These lifestyle changes can be corrected to prevent arteriosclerosis condition. Since it also runs in the genes, there are also precautionary measures for an individual to observe to prevent and lessen the risk of him/her to likely develop such condition.
- Stop smoking. Smoking can only increase the risk of complications such as stroke and heart attack. Nicotine in cigarettes causes vasoconstriction. Hence, it facilitates in the obstruction of the blood vessels which is not a good idea.
- Watch what you eat. Consumption of food high in cholesterol would increase the chances of the fats to accumulate and deposit in your arterial walls causing stenosis and then hardening of your blood vessels.
- Avoid stress as this can aggravate and lead to other serious complications.
- Choose a healthy lifestyle by engaging to an exercise daily regimen. This would help improve your blood circulation and it likely reduces the build-up of deposits because the blood flow does not remain stagnant.
- Eat healthy and nutritious food. Opt for vegetables and fruits in the diet.
- Cut back on the high sugar consumption and salty food, as this can only complicate and aggravate the condition of an individual. Salty and sweets can only cause the blood to become more viscous.