Having clogged arteries is dangerous as it can lead to several heart diseases. Arteries function as vessels carrying the supply of oxygen and nutrients to the body from the heart. In order for blood circulation to function properly, the arteries need to be durable, flexible and free from fatty deposits.
Artery Cleansing Foods
There are certain foods that can clean the arteries through regular consumption.
- Apples are rich in procyanidins that can prevent blood clots and enhance the health of tissues in the arteries. Choose the lustrous red variety that is packed with nutrients.
- Green tea also has the same polyphenol found in apples.
- Grapefruit offers pectin that can slow down the development of atherosclerosis.
- When using oil in cooking or preparing dishes, choose olive oil for its monounsaturated fats that are not likely to clog up the artery walls.
- Beans like garbanzo offer soluble and insoluble dietary fibers that eliminate the body’s bile, which contains the cholesterol.
- Salmon has omega-3 fats that may also prevent blood clotting. The type of salmon caught in the wild is more preferable due to its great number of nutrients.
- Leafy green vegetables such as spinach are major sources of vitamins A and C, which have antioxidants.
- Tomatoes have lycopene, another antioxidant that prevent accumulation of fatty deposits in the arteries.
- Eating garlic can create nitric oxide that makes artery walls more resilient and relaxed.
- Herbs like ginger, ginkgo and arginine are available as food supplements to help clean the arteries from the buildup of fats.
Natural Artery Cleansing Diet
- This special diet not only cleans the arteries but places a limit on the intake of fat and excessive calories.
- Healthy weight is achieved through the selection of foods used in the diet balanced by physical activity.
- Aside from fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, fat-free dairy products and grains are also recommended in the diet. The food choices contribute to weight loss that can cut the risk for atherosclerosis.
- According to the American Heart Association, the most effective way to lessen the amount of saturated and trans fats in the body is cutting back on solid fats such as lard, butter and partially hydrogenated oils. Meat fat and chicken skin are common culprits for trans fats as well, thus should be avoided.
- Fiber, on the other hand, controls hunger pangs because it gives a full feeling in the stomach. Fiber-rich foods are low in cholesterol and will not clog the arteries.