Joint pains commonly occur in people of 40 years and above. The commonest cause for joint pain is arthritis, either rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis. Pain is often accompanied by stiffness and reduced mobility.
Home Remedies For Joint Pain Relief
Here are some home remedies that give relief from joint pain and stiffness
- Carrots: experts recommend having 1 carrot daily.
- Papaya seed tea: boil the seeds of papaya in a bowl of water. Drink this decoction every day for 1 month.
- Apple cider vinegar: add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and honey to a glass of water. Apple cider vinegar affords immense relief from joint pain.
- Epsom salts: add 5 spoons of Epsom salts to the bath water and soak the affected joint in it. Epsom contains magnesium which exerts powerful anti inflammatory properties.
- Olive oil: massage the affected joint with olive oil, every night before retiring to bed. This will ease the pain, stiffness and discomfort.
- Stretching exercises: make the joints flexible and strengthen the muscles of the joint too. Regular exercises can help relieve joint pain appreciably.
Vitamin Supplement For Joint Pain
- Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals that affect joint tissues. Vitamin A rich foods like carrots, kale, broccoli, spinach, mango, parsley, sweet potato, papaya, apricots, cheese, tomatoes, strawberries, peaches, etc. prevent free radical damage to the tissues of the joint and help preserve their integrity.
- Vitamin D is very essential for joint care. Cod liver oil, herring, kippers, tuna, mackerel, sardines, eggs etc. are excellent sources. It helps reconstruct cartilage in the joints when they start eroding. It prevents demineralization and checks bone pain.
- Collagen is an important component of bone, ligament, cartilage, tendon and other connective tissues. Vitamin C is very crucial for the synthesis of collagen. Ensure that you take a vitamin C supplement daily or consume large amounts of: limes, lemons, mangoes, apples, chilies, bell peppers, papayas, etc.
Vitamin B complex
- Vitamin B complex is extremely essential for healthy joints and bones. Experts recommend taking a multi vitamin pill daily; one that supplies all the B vitamins.
Diet For Joint Pain
Make sure that you include the following foods in your daily diet. Consume these foods daily, for at least 3 months for beneficial results:
- Grapes: Resveratrol, present in abundance in grapes is a potent anti inflammatory agent. It reduces inflammation, swelling, stiffness and pain successfully.
Resveratrol can actually block cell inflammation and diminish pain.
- Salads: opt for lots of veggies in your daily menu. Animal sources such as chicken, meat, dairy, and egg yolks contain arachidonic acid that gets converted in to inflammatory prostaglandins and leukotrienes, which in turn trigger inflammation and pain.
- Flax seeds and fish: provide plenty of omega-3 fatty acids, decrease inflammation.
- Soy: soy is packed with isoflavones and phyto-estrogens. These are known to fight inflammation effectively. Soy is also a wonderful source of plant protein and prevents cartilage erosion.
- Pineapple: provides bromelain, a powerful anti-inflammatory compound. Bromelain reduces swelling of joints and eases pain and stiffness considerably.