Autoimmune diseases are any ailment or disorder wherein the immune system launches an attack against the body’s own systems and components. This overactive immune response mistakes these systems or components as pathogens that have to be eliminated or treated.
There are a number of ailments that can be classified as autoimmune.
- Addison’s Disease,
- Cushing’s Syndrome
- Castleman’s disease
- Any form of cancer
- Discoid lupus erythematosus
- Lupus erythematosus
- Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)
- Myasthenia gravis
- Multiple sclerosis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohns Disease
- Acute hemorrhagic leukoencephalitis
Although it is not easy to ascertain which autoimmune disease the patient might have by just looking at symptoms, taking precautionary measures against any type of this disease would be very helpful.
- The preventive measures that one must take on should see to the health of the immune system. Getting enough rest every day as well as doing some exercises are just among these measures that you can do easily.
- A healthy diet is also another great preventive measure.
- Because anxiety and stress are also considered to be among the main causes of autoimmune diseases, then the individual should also take some steps to reduce or eliminate these from his or her life.
- Learn to say “no”. Limit commitments to avoid stretching self too thin and inviting stress. Appeasing everyone and overwhelming self will bring nothing but harm.
- Take each day as it comes. Worrying about what might come tomorrow will not help in eliminating stress but will only make it worse.
- Take some time to relax. Even if the individual has a busy schedule and is already swamped with work, reserve some time to rest. Do relaxing activities: read a book, take a warm bath, or get a massage.
Home Care for Autoimmune Diseases
Most autoimmune diseases would require medications. The right kind of medication to use will depend upon what ailment was affecting the patient. Proper diagnosis is very important.
The following are some of the possible home care that one can provide to a patient with autoimmune diseases:
- Staying healthy is always the best preventive and treatment measure to deal with most diseases. Thus, the patient should eat healthy foods and exercise.
- Keep the patient comfortable at all times. If the patient is bedridden, make sure to keep him or her clean and well rested.
- Stress can also be relieved through meditation and yoga.