The commonest cause for sciatica is pressure from a herniated disc. The Piriformis Syndrome is another significant cause. The piriformis muscle exerts pressure on the sciatic nerve when the muscle gets imbalanced, thus causing the joints in the pelvis to become displaced, and impinging on to the sciatic nerve.
Narrowing of the space in the spinal canal causes an irritation due to constant pressure on the sciatic nerve.
The common manifestations of sciatica are: pain in the lower back, which radiates downwards to the back of the thighs and calves. There is also associated tingling numbness.
Natural Remedies For Sciatica Nerve Pain
- Potato and celery: a combination of celery and potato juice provides great sciatica relief. They supply the body with all the essential minerals and vitamins necessary for nerve health.
- Garlic: garlic promises to ease pains, enhances circulation, is a powerful anti oxidant and provides the body with energy and vitality.
- Vitamin B supplementation: vitamin B supplementation is very important. Make sure that you eat loads of vitamin B rich foods.
- Horse radish: is a wonderful home remedy to manage sciatica. Fresh, minced horse radish poultice, applied to the affected areas, and kept on for at least 30 minutes stimulates the sciatica nerve and gives remarkable respite from the sciatica pain.
Stretching Exercises For Sciatica Pain Relief
The following two exercises help manage sciatica pain effectively. They stretch the muscles, strengthen them efficiently, ease out stiffness and pain, and appreciably improve the range of motion. Regular practice is essential.
- Lie on your abdomen.
- Place the palms parallel to the face and slowly raise your head.
- The lower part of the body from the hip should lie on the floor; then, raise your upper body upwards.
- Hold for 10 seconds
- Perform at least 5 repetitions.
- Lie on your back.
- Slowly, pull up your knees towards the chest.
- Ensure that the lower half of the legs stays in contact with the thighs.
- Hold the position for 20 seconds and slowly come back to the initial position.
- Perform 10 repetitions.
Diet For Sciatica
- Make sure that your protein intake is high. Consume 1 bowl of legumes daily, and ensure that you have soy in some form every day. Important natural sources are: meat, chicken, egg, legumes and pulses, milk, etc.
- A vitamin B complex supplement, once or twice every day, at least for six months is a very crucial part of the diet.
- Carrot is another important food that must be a part of your daily diet. Either have 1 raw carrot daily or have carrot juice every other day.