Backache is one of the conditions that could affect a person at least once in his or her entire life. Studies have shown that 9 out of 10 adults experience this condition at least once in their lifetime. These studies have also shown that 5 out of 10 adults get to experience this condition every year.
Backache is caused by a variety of factors, including injury, ailments, and general health condition of the patient. This condition can be felt in many areas of the back, starting from the neck or cervical part of the spine towards the lowest portion, the sacral spine. Pain can be felt only on the affected areas; however, there are also many cases wherein the patient also experiences pain that radiates to the arms up to the wrist or to other parts of the body.
There are a lot of factors that could cause backache. Some of these are poor posture, muscular tension, overstraining of the joints, and being in just one position for a long time.
Below is a list of the most common causes of back ache:
- Prolonged sitting or standing in just one position
- Poor posture
- Weak muscles of the back and abdomen
- Sudden twisting or vigorous jerking of the trunk
- Menstrual pain is also known to indirectly cause backache among women
- Straining of joints
- Muscular and joint pain
- Lack of nutrition
- Lack of exercise
- Wearing of high heels
- Deterioration of the spinal discs
- Kidney or prostate problems
- Improper functioning of the kidneys
- Back injury
- Excessive physical labor
- Wrong position in sleeping
- Too much mental stress
So if the patient has been feeling some backache for some time now and does not yet know for sure what caused it, then he or she already has an idea as to what possible reasons are there that might have caused the problem.
The following home remedies work well in treating backache:
- Use hot compress on the affected area. This can help improve blood circulation. Do not use for more than 20 minutes at a time.
- Eat a healthy diet of fruits and vegetables, especially those rich in vitamin C.
- Potato can be used as poultice to be applied on top of the painful areas.