Bed Sores Diet:
Maintaining a healthy diet is very essential in preventing the breaking down of skin and in helping the healing of wounds. As such, it is very important to observe proper nutrition among patients who are likely to develop bed sores.
Here are a number of nutrition tips for bed sores that can help:
- Try eating small meals if you feel full already after eating just a few mouthfuls.
- As liquids can make you feel full, you need to limit fluid intake during meals. However, you should not limit your overall intake of water during the whole day because this keeps the skin supple and soft.
- If you don’t feel like eating meats, taking in other high-protein foods like peanut butter, cottage cheese, custards, and yogurt would do wonders.
- If you find it difficult to swallow, you could focus on taking in pureed goods, soups or supplemental drinks. These provide much calories and protein but do not require too much preparation.
- Take your time in eating your meals. Chewing your food properly enables the easier breakdown of food in your stomach thus effecting towards the faster absorption of nutrients into the bloodstream.