HIIT training is high intensity interval training, a type of workout which incorporates intense exercise schedule for short period of time alternating with short and quick recovery period. This type of exercise training helps to burn calories at higher rate which lasts for several hours after the exercise. HIIT increases metabolism, brings about improvement in cardiac function, reduces insulin resistance, and increases endurance level.
Benefits of HIIT Training:
High intensity interval training can involve several types of exercise such as cycling, walking, running, bodyweight exercise, strength training exercise. Because HIIT are more exhaustive than the traditional workouts, the recovery period required is long.
- HIIT training burns many more calories in short period of time. This is an advantage for people who desire to reduce their weight in short period of time. According to an estimate, this form of exercise burns 25 percent more calories than other form of exercise.
- Metabolic rate remains high for hours after exercise. Your calorie burns more when your metabolic rate is high. In HIIT, the metabolic rate remains high even after several hours of training.
- Helps to burn fat at faster rate without alteration in diet. The main important part is it helps to reduce visceral fat, the same fat that surrounds the internal organs in the abdomen. This fat is difficult to burn or burns last. But with HIIT it tends to burn at faster pace.
- No equipment is needed. This workout does not require any special equipment and can be done at home. In HIIT the main point of focus is to raise the heart rate.
- HIIT increases oxygen intake in the body, thus it helps the tissues and muscles to oxygenate well in short period of time.
- HIIT is particularly beneficial for patients suffering from type 2 diabetes because helps in improving blood sugar level. According to researchers, HIIT improves insulin resistance greater even than regular continuous gym workout.
- This form of workout helps o increase endurance level in a person. According to one study it was found that people performing HIIT for 2 months had increased their endurance. These persons were able to ride bicycle almost double the time as compared with their contemporaries who performed regular long time exercise.