Stiffness of the body is one of the most common complaints and affects several hundred of people annually. Stiffness of the body is usually caused when muscles of a certain part of the body become tense and remain contracted for longer than normal.
Muscle stiffness can affect any part of the body; however localized muscle stiffness may be attributed to causes like trauma or injury while generalized body stiffness may be attributed to influenza or flu.
What Causes Body Stiffness?
While body stiffness is more frequently observed in elderly people, it can affect individuals of any age. Here are some common causes that have been found to be closely linked with body stiffness.
- Lack of physical activity is considered to be the leading cause for body stiffness.
- Obesity can also cause body stiffness.
- Poor dietary habits with diet low in proteins and vitamins.
- Lack of sleep and cold or damp surrounding can also increase the risk of muscle stiffness.
- Calcium and magnesium deficiency can lead to muscle cramps and can also contribute to body stiffness.
- Rheumatic conditions and osteoarthritis are also known to be associated with body stiffness.
- Influenza or flu can also be associated with body stiffness.
Symptoms Of Body Stiffness
The symptoms associated with body stiffness are primarily associated with limited mobility and increased rigidity of the muscles,
- Difficulty to move the muscles. Body stiffness is more common in the early morning (also referred to as morning stiffness) or after prolonged rest. Any attempt to move may be associated with mild to moderate muscle pain.
- Body stiffness may also be associated with rigidity and limited range of movement. The stiffness of the muscles may prevent the entire range of movement for a particular joint.
- Body stiffness may also be associated with overall feeling of tiredness and weakness.
Home Remedies To Relieve Body Stiffness
Here are some important tips to help relieve body stiffness. These lifestyle modifications and regular exercises can help alleviate the symptoms associated with body stiffness and also improve the range of motion,
- Inadequate sleep or wrong posture is considered to be one of the leading causes of body stiffness, especially in the early morning. Ensure that you get adequate sleep. Also remember to sleep on your back or on your sides, as sleeping on your stomach may be associated with increased stress to the back and spine.
- Avoid damp and cold surroundings, especially while going to bed. Wet and cold surroundings increase the tendency to develop rheumatic symptoms and cause rigidity of the muscles.
- Do warm up exercises after getting up in the morning. Simple stretches can help improve the blood circulation to the body parts and thereby reduce muscle stiffness and pain. A warm water bath early in the morning can also help alleviate some of the symptoms associated with body stiffness. Experts recommend that taking 10,000 steps each day can help in preventing body stiffness and pain.
- Homeopathic drugs namely Bryonia and Rhus Tox taken repeated over five times each day can help in the management of body stiffness and muscle pain.
- It is recommended to consume calcium and magnesium supplements in order to improve muscle strengthen mobility and avoid muscle cramps.