Armpit boils is a common skin problem, especially in tropical countries. The condition is more prevalent in summer and monsoon season. Armpit boils occur when the hair follicles in the underarm gets infected. A boil is filled with yellowish or cream fluid, what we call it as pus. The skin surrounding armpit boil turns red and inflamed.
Common Causes of Armpit Boils
The commonest organism that causes boils in armpit region is staphylococcus bacteria. Boils develop when the hair follicle in the underarm gets infected with bacteria. Constant friction and chaffing due to physical movement can damage the hair follicle. Tight fitting clothes and certain fabrics can also harm the hair follicles of the armpit. Sweat together with dust and grime present in underarm becomes a breeding ground for staph bacteria.
Excessive shaving of underarm hairs can lead to ingrown hairs in the armpit. Ingrown hairs in the underarm are also leading cause for underarm boils.
Though the use of deodorants and antiperspirants leading to boils is not yet clear, it can be a predisposing cause for formation of boils and furuncles in the armpit region.
There are certain predisposing factors responsible for armpit boils, they are;
- Eating too many carbohydrate foods.
- Person suffering from diabetes, chronic renal disease.
- Poor health- due to malnourishment, stress and worries.
- Seborrhoeic diathesis.
- Oily occupation and dusty jobs.
How to Treat Armpit Boils Naturally at Home
Though there are many individuals who may prefer to take conventional prescription medications, there are effective home remedies to cure armpit boils.
- Turmeric has natural antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties. Its medicinal value is known since ages. Burn turmeric root and mix the ash with water to form a paste. Apply the paste over the boil. Daily application of turmeric paste helps to hasten the boil to burst and relieve pain and inflammation.
- Mix pinch of turmeric powder in a teaspoon of honey. Consume it daily for quick cure from armpit boils.
- Cut a raw onion in halves and apply it on the boil. Tie the onion with a bandage to keep it secured in its place. Change the onion at least two times in a day until the boil bursts and the pus drains out from the boil. Instead of onion, you can also extract onion juice and apply it on the boil.
- Honey is known to act upon boils in the armpit. It helps drain the boil without any difficulty. Apply generously pure honey over the boil two to three times in a day. After few days the boil disappears.
- Hold hot water bottle over the armpit boils frequently during daytime. It will help the boil to burst within a day or two.
- Prepare a paste by mixing ground cornmeal with few teaspoon of boiling water. Let the paste cool down. Now apply a poultice over the boil. Cornmeal paste dries the boil if applied regularly for few days over the armpit boils.
- In order to prevent repeated underarm boils, carbohydrate and fats should be cut down, and add extra proteins, vegetables and fruit in your diet.
- Improve your general health and immune system by living a healthy lifestyle.
- A holiday by seaside, sunbathing, exposure to ultra violet rays, and sulfur spring baths are also beneficial.