Athletes and physically active individuals are prone to developing heel spur, which is also called calcaneal spur. It is actually calcium growth within the areas of the tendons and ligaments of the foot that are attached to the heel bone. It can be quite painful and may appear inflamed.
Symptoms of Heel Spurs
- The first sign of presence of heel spurs is chronic pain in the morning as one gets out of bed.
- While walking, the person may find that there is a conscious effort to shift strides to counteract the pain.
- Appearance of small bony growth on the underside of the heel
- Sudden development of corns and calluses to act as cushion to the heel spur
Natural Home Remedies For Heel Spurs
- Apple cider vinegar can assist in eliminating the discomfort from heel spurs. Cloth soaked in apple cider vinegar can be worn as bandage around the affected area. Adding molasses and baking soda is also possible.
- There are orthopedic molds sold in the market that can be placed under the heel for pain relief and support as well.
- Soak the feet in borax solution regularly to heal the swollen part.
- Wrapping fresh cabbage leaves around the heel spur is yet another popular remedy done at home.
- The commonly used ice pack to relieve pain and swelling can also be looked upon as remedy for heel spur.
- Massaging coconut oil in and around the heel spur can bring comfort. Coconut oil has natural calming properties for the heel spurs.
How To Get Rid Of Heel Spur Pain?
Unless the pain is unbearable, eliminating heel spurs is not necessary. If doctors find an underlying condition that is causing the heel spur, then different ways of treatment can be taken.
- Weight loss programs can be recommended for people who are putting too much pressure on their heels and foot due to the excess weight.
- Some anti-inflammatory medicines may be prescribed by the doctor.
- If there is considerable deformity, surgical removal is also an option for getting rid of the heel spur.
Acupuncture for Heel Spurs
Acupuncture is a traditional therapeutic method that works for all-around pain relief
- Acupuncturists can use their techniques in providing an alternative way to relieve the patient from the severe pain.
- Muscles are able to relax through the skillful hands of the acupuncturist. This can also release endorphins, which help relieve pain naturally.
- It should be remembered that acupuncture doesn’t provide the ultimate solution to heel spurs. Lifestyle changes can aid in the speedy recovery.