Bruising and swelling of a knee may occur due to trauma / injury to the ligaments, tendons, or meniscs or any other medical problem or because of overuse of the joint. Arthritis – osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or gout may damage the knee too. A dislocated knee cap is another common etiological factor.
A bruised knee (or patellar contusion) causes pain underneath the kneecap. You may also have swelling in the knee. Forceful trauma to the soft tissue surrounding the knee causes fluid and / or blood to buildup. Treatment of a bruised knee depends up on whether the swelling is acute or chronic and the severity of the condition.
A bruised knee is characterized by:
- Blue – black discoloration around the knee.
- Heaviness and pain (degree may vary depending up on the severity of the injury).
- Tenderness and swelling.
- Reduced range of movement and stiffness.
Natural Remedies To Heal A Bruised Knee
You can manage a bruised knee at home, following these simple guidelines. On the other hand, in case the swelling and pain refuse to abate and there is associated fever, you need to consult your physician.
First and foremost you need to give your knee ample rest. Avoid straining the knee at all costs. Rest your knee and walk as little as possible. Talk to your health care provider and use crutches if necessary.
- Apply ice over the swollen and inflamed area. Massage gently using an ice bag for about 10 minutes 5 to 6 times a day. Ice reduces swelling and inflammation and thus allays the pain and discomfort appreciably.
- Once the swelling subsides, hot fomentation is advised to expedite the process of healing. Soak a towel in hot water and place over the knee, frequently through the day.
- Apply an elastic bandage to give knee compression.
- Try to keep the knee joint elevated. When you lie down place pillows below the knee.
- Drink one glass of ginger tea every day for a month. Ginger is chock full of gingerols and these compounds help fight inflammation quickly, thus allaying the pain, and accelerating healing.
- After a week, start physiotherapy. Physical therapy exercises help strengthen the ligaments and muscles around the joint and enhance the knee’s range of movement. Make sure you have 10 sessions of physical therapy with a qualified practitioner.
- Massage and aromatherapy is another effective option. Massaging the joint helps elevate stiffness and discomfort and greatly improves the range of motion. However, ensure that you visit a licensed masseur. Using aromatherapy oils such as clove essential oil, nutmeg essential oil and ginger essential oil are exceedingly beneficial.
Healing Time For Bruised Knee
A bruised knee may take several days to weeks to heal. It could take longer in case the back of the kneecap is damaged. Returning to your activities depends up on how soon the knee recuperates.
The chief aim of the treatment regimen and the rehabilitation program is to facilitate your returning to normal day to day activities as soon as safely possible.